Search This Blog

On Mourning and Anger and Matters of the Soul

When these horrible crimes take place (Orlando, et al.), we immediately start talking about gun control, safety for children, terrorism (should that have been first?), legislation, protesting, and contacting our (fill in the blank) in Washington, DC.

That typically evokes a response from the other side and then we are off to the races: arguments, anger, pleading, and my political party is better than yours - in fact, “we” are better than “you,” ad nauseam.

There is something else. 

This is not a sermon. It's a reminder.

Ask yourself, quietly, alone in your room, when it's easier to think of God: "What are we missing?" "What can I do - since I'm not the one committing the crimes and I have no real political power?"  If you start with what God starts with, there is the forgiveness but also standing for justice.

For the most part, we seem to fall in to two camps: the "lovers" and the "legalists." 

"Lovers" will forgive anything, overlook even wrong-doing for fear of seeming to lack in mercy, or that calling something wrong is "judging" - or a misguided thinking that nothing is really "wrong" (that is becoming more prevalent in our society).

"Legalists" have a list of sins and crimes and can tell you everything that is wrong but without the mercy and kindness we are told to have by God (in all our holy books).

Our only list should include segments of both but not extremely one to the exclusion of the other.

There IS wrong, sin, evil. If we deny it, we give it more power. Those of us who would never commit such crimes can't be passive. I don't mean take action like these shooters do. Doing evil will never defeat evil. I mean try to prevent it (to the best of our ability).

(That brings to mind a whole other theme: "but I'm doing the best I can." No. We are not. But that theme has to wait its turn.)

Even those who don't claim a religion can be ethical and humane. Some excel at one without the other.

We all have a moral compass. Really, we do. If we haven't thought about it enough lately, we might have to put forth extraordinary effort to get back in touch with it. But it's there, at your very core, where no one but God touches, sees, or hears.

Going forward with that in the balance changes our world view. It will change how we approach the very necessary actions like legislation or work in our community to protect everyone, especially - but not only - children.

A moral compass means I shall not judge you but I will not endorse wrong-doing. I will not harm you because doing evil will never defeat evil.

A moral compass means I will make every effort I can, what I am honestly able to do to help others in a way that might change things *just* a little.

That “just a little” is all we have as individuals.

Those of us who believe in God know that all power really comes only from Him but if I don’t do my little bit, I’m wrong. 

Some online comments have diminished the phrase “thoughts and prayers” but I think they are wrong. It could be an automatic response that has little meaning but I know I mean it when I say it, so surely others do, too. What else can we say online?

OFFline, we have to do more. I’m in tears as I start to type these words: I honestly will keep people in my thoughts and prayers. It is part of our connection. I also will do what I can to influence others in my small sphere. We can hope the ripple effect will cause change – even a little – in others.


With God’s help, it’s what we can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment